* Advert

Author Topic: them up the road.  (Read 2260 times)

titus

• 1st Team Regular
    • View Profile
them up the road.
« on: October 02, 2017, 16:13:35 »
Always cheers me up when that shower up the 77 are in turmoil.long may it continue.

TonyH

• Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
Re: them up the road.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 16:23:26 »
We're in no position to laugh at anybody

Stanebrain

• 1st Team Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 17:53:36 »
Fair cheered me up that, lets all laugh at them. They're away to Partick, Rangers then home to Celtic, rubbish that eh.
Meanwhile we're playing the Dog n Duck, Rag-arse Rovers and Torag Utd. Don't think we're in any position to have a chuckle at anyone!!!!

ghostofjimmysmith

• Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 19:12:35 »
Sorry that word schadenfreude again for me.

We are a wee diddy team, always have been, always will be - our "glory" years 40+ years ago saw us finish fifth or sixth in the top flight and I wasn't there to enjoy it -  but I personally can't help taking delight at seeing the big boys suffer whether it is the gift that keeps giving in Rangers ongoing humiliation as some kind of cosmic payback for the arrogance of the nine in the row years/being David Murrays second choice, Celtic assumption of the mantle of the all conquering Scottish champions who routinely get humiliated when they play anyone half decent in Europe and well our county neighbours.......

Very few folks don't come into regular contact with one of 'them' either through work or family and whilst to many of their fans we are increasingly an insignificance there are still enough who mock, as to make many me us revel in their misfortune - yes in a heartbeat I would love to have won some of their trophies and had European glory nights but we haven't/didn't/won't - anything else and we might as well sing "won f*ck all and never will" about ourselves.

It's absolute gash being in league one and being an Ayr fan is years of at best mediocrity but more likely misery with very short lived good bits, and whilst it ultimately changes nothing either way ,our county neighbours being in turmoil makes it slightly less rubbish for me.

Anyway when are they going to get some more "bigger banners than us" to fill another of their empty stands.

Jeff Vader

• U19s Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 01:43:03 »
We're in no position to laugh at anybody

Exactly.

They've been in the SPL for something like 20 years in a row. Quite an achievement.

AYRSHIRE_ANGUS

• U19s Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 13:58:17 »
We do have a vested interest in their fortunes - the possibility of being in the same league as them after decades next season is potentially massive. Hopefully this time the playoff team does a bit better than Falkirk two years ago!

titus

• 1st Team Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 15:01:05 »
4 derbys,bring it on.

ghostofjimmysmith

• Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 16:49:35 »
Part time football at Rugby Park, bring it on.

I thought like us with Roberts, getting rid of a highly unpopular figure in Michael Johnson was going to have the fans flooding back. Might have been in the SPL for 20 years, been in Europe and won two major trophies in that time but they have lost a much higher percentage of their support than we did, albeit from a much higher starting number.

Despite everything that has befallen us in recent years and our recent form we got over 1300 folks on Saturday to attend a game against East Fife in the third tier of Scottish football - despite a small away support - many expected sub 1000 crowds being the norm not that long ago. Much wrong with our club but when in the last 35+ years have we not been "underachieving"

titus

• 1st Team Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 16:54:27 »
Mccall was on radio scotland on tuesday night saying more or less that because of empty stands and the plastic pitch that rugby park is a crap venue for football.you have to hand it to the wee man.quality.

The real jolly

• 1st Team Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 22:11:48 »
Anyone know how our academy teams did against them at the weekend ?

Stanebrain

• 1st Team Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 22:30:17 »
All defeats bar one draw i heard tonight. Bit of catching up still to do with that lot up the road.

The real jolly

• 1st Team Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 23:00:59 »
Seems the academy s main focus now is on girls football and walking football,they seem to have given up on the pro youth,only playing at it..Shame really as it must take a lot of money and organisation to run teams and send them all over the country but for some reason we seem to be content with the jobs for the boys coaching and failure.I suppose the club must be content with this as it doesn't cost them much but you wonder if they should set up their own teams with a more ambitious and aggressive outlook to producing players for the first team!Seem to be content playing a poor second fiddle to Killie

Stanebrain

• 1st Team Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 23:07:57 »
Good post. Appears that way now. Its not costing anyone any cash so no ones really that bothered with whats happening within the academy. No one really has to answer to anyone.
Its all handouts, grants and donations. Although think the walking fitba team done well abroad a wee while back. Cracking wee Jolly that for the lads (excuse the pun).

ghostofjimmysmith

• Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 13:19:22 »
http://www.aufa.org.uk/about-us/

Nothing in this about creating professional footballers or feeding the Ayr United first team. Based on this criteria it is really difficult to say it is not a success, as lots of folks taking parts in aufa activities throughout the local area - the original purpose of generating first team quality footballers for Ayr United seems to have been dropped along the way - probably because it doesn't work.

All seriousness what is to stop us cutting our ties with aufa - rebrand, incorporate SAC gym and fitness services and it could continue as local community sporting quango like ka leisure in North Ayrshire and could also tie up with the Ayrshire juniors which it ultimately feeds- so nobody loses their job - and we go about resurrecting Ayr United boys club with a specific purpose of being a top performing pro youth side feeding the first team - let aufa pick up the under 16's - only run teams between 16 and 20.

As things stand if our academy isn't in the list of elite academies that Malky McKay finalises, Ayr United are going to feel limited first team football impact, the impact will be most felt by those who work for the academy.

Lochwood

• 1st Team Sub
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 20:10:56 »
I have been saying the club should go back to the tried and tested and successfull boys club format for some time now, with accountable coaches with a sole purpose of providing players for ayr Utd FC? History shows this was more successful than the present format which is geared to community status.
Previously the club was run with un15, un16, and un18 youthset ups with them receiving a fixed sum each month for training and expenses, back then they were run with a running cost of 25 per team per week, all the rest of there costs were met by the coaches and players, and there were 3 officials with each team.
Through the years players were sold on and each time the boys club got a reward which was managed by the senior coaches for the benefit of the club, I know it is about developing youngsters but then they were very successful, check the board room trophies and you'll find about 90 per cent of them are boys club trophies.

Ayr fan exiled

• Youth Academy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 13:23:45 »
Could not agree more on a return to Ayr United Boys club which back in the day came from Ayr Boswell. I can recall the team I played with as Ayr Boswell (and the B side) which morphed into Ayr United Boys club the vast majority went to professional clubs. I agree not all Ayr United...my team had players go to Rangers, Ipswich (George Burley), Crystal Palace (even them up the road!) as well as Ayr. Again not all made it like George but many had a game to a good standard. We were 'hardened' up with farming out to good junior sides and men's football. Perhaps sometimes a return to what worked should be re-visited?

kb

• U19s Player
  • Auld Yins Rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 18:11:19 »
There was a meeting many years ago at Somerset and one of the benefits of the Academy being set up was that it would get grants which AUFC could not get
I don't understand much about the workings of the Academy but it looks now that there is no link with AUFC and I thought that the original main aim was to set up the academy to AUFCs benefit
Mon Ayr, Mon Super Ayr !!!!!!!

Lochwood

• 1st Team Sub
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 20:17:44 »
Stevie Clark appointment will make a massive difference to them, have to say I'm very jealous of them getting him, one of the best coaches in the game. All they need now is to get the shithole of a park back to grass and they will developed into top six in my opinion.
Absolutely no doubt that moving to Astro pitch has taken them backwards, they don't even train there for goodness sake.

Stan the Man

• 1st Team Sub
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 21:00:51 »
Seems we are destined to never get anywhere near them.

The real jolly

• 1st Team Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2017, 00:49:51 »
I posted somewhere after the early season win over them when along with the bold move of going full time whether we were going to kick on both commercially,off the field infrastructure ( stadium etc ) ,academy ,wondering whether we were serious or going to sit back and do f all and I was hounded down ,but it seems we don't really want to go forward as a club it's the same old failures behind the scenes who are holding us back from being at least a semi progressive club ,shame for the loyal fans we will never have had a better chance but it's rapidly going back to wee pushy ayr mentality