Anglo Scottish Cup

Started by sT JuDe, February 19, 2016, 15:05:04

Previous topic - Next topic

sT JuDe

Was looking back at some of our results in the competition and who we have played, it was well before my time but was there many people on here who traveled and what kinda numbers to the away legs? The iikes of Newcastle and Biringham and think did we play Notts Forrest aswell.

shuggie sproat

Remember seeing the great Brian Clough in the dugout at Somerset with his Forest team.Over forty years ago,where has the time went.

Ayr Apparent

Quote from: sT JuDe on February 19, 2016, 15:05:04
Was looking back at some of our results in the competition and who we have played, it was well before my time but was there many people on here who traveled and what kinda numbers to the away legs? The iikes of Newcastle and Biringham and think did we play Notts Forrest aswell.

Hitch-hiked to Nottingham and back to see us lose 2-1 with Johnny Graham scoring at the City ground. Forest too good for us at Somerset in the 2nd leg. After drawing 1-1 with Leicester City at Somerset, I travelled to Leicester in a mini-bus and we lost 2-0 at Filbert Street. In the first leg Peter Shilton showed how good he was. 

We didn't take large numbers to the away games but there was always a good crowd and atmosphere at the home games. Newcastle spoiled the tournament by resting all their top team players and I believe that was the writing on the wall for the tournament.

dixie ingram the leader

We had a greatcrowd at Newcastle where we lost 2-0 second leg  remember something like 700 ood ayr fans there Duncan will know roughly our travelinng support to Birmingham, Newcastle and Leicster am sure
"Let The People Sing "
Stand Up To Modern Football
Bring back standing

TonyH

Incredible to think we once competed with Newcastle, Birmingham, Leicester City and Nottingham Forest.

Doyle

Quote from: TonyH on February 20, 2016, 21:31:06
Incredible to think we once competed with Newcastle, Birmingham, Leicester City and Nottingham Forest.

Ayr U 3 V Newcastle 0 springs to mind.............albeit, them with a rather weakened team, that resulted in their expulsion from the comp.....

David Castilla

Quote from: dixie ingram the leader on February 20, 2016, 20:45:28
We had a greatcrowd at Newcastle where we lost 2-0 second leg  remember something like 700 ood ayr fans there Duncan will know roughly our travelinng support to Birmingham, Newcastle and Leicster am sure

On the way up to Airdrie earlier on the season my dad was speaking about it on the bus, light years away from that now!
The dream will never die.

duncan.carmichael

Newcastle 1972 - It was hard to tell the size of the Ayr support. There was no segregation and both sets of fans had similar scarves (replica shirts were not quite in vogue). I was in the Stand and it was obvious that there was a good contingent of Ayr supporters behind the goal (Gallowgate end). However the overall support was probably a bit dispersed but it wasn't massive. Leicester 1973 - This was the only one of these games I didn't travel to (refereeing exam that night would you believe?). Birmingham 1974 - There were very few Ayr fans at this game. I watched it from a large terracing and there were some exiled Scots amongst our small number. Even allowing for fans being dispersed (again no segregation) the support was poor. Mansfield 1975 - Again a very small support. Nottingham Forest 1976 - Once more a small travelling support but probably a bit better than Mansfield. Again no segregation and the possibility of fans being dispersed in different bits of the ground but definitely a small support. Birmingham was the only one I saw from the terracing. I have a feeling that at Mansfield and Nottingham our fans were so few in number that I was given a complimentary ticket from a director or player. I paid for my Stand seat at Newcastle though when I was in the company of the Nelsons. 

Try6Place

GREAT COMPANY Duncan. Priceless memories.