Ayr Utd Extend players contracts (1 month)

Started by shinglis, May 24, 2020, 17:39:32

Previous topic - Next topic

shinglis

May 24, 2020, 17:39:32 Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 17:44:33 by shinglis
The press release or report below is really good positive news and may help keep the balance of the team next season whenever that is.

I feel it's the right and decent thing to do instead of Dunfermline statement who just released 17 players whose contracts end.

Daily Record Press -

QuoteAyr United are to keep out of contract stars on their books for another month, the club has confirmed.

Players whose Somerset Park deals were set to expire at the end of next week will now be paid through June.

Club chiefs will utilise the UK Government's extended furlough scheme to pay affected players 80 per cent of their salaries.

A United spokesman said tonight that "standing by the players is the right thing to do".

They told the Ayrshire Post: "We want to look after them as much as we possibly can and the extension to the furlough scheme hopefully allows us to do that.

"By extending contracts into June, we are standing by the players at what is clearly a very difficult time.

"If we can use this scheme to assist then not only can we keep the squad together that bit longer, we can help the boys out at a vital time."

ghostofjimmysmith

I don't really understand why Dunfermline didn't just use the furlough scheme for another month unless paying the 20% was even proving too much. Should just have whored Kevin Nisbet to one of the old firm to get enough for the 20%

Imagine if as much time over the last two months had been spent on the "sporting integrity" of protecting the livelihoods of those that play the game rather than trying to get a desired outcome for certain clubs.

I fear that all Ayr United, as many other clubs - and sadly many businesses - are doing is delaying the inevitable.

Moore, Houston and McCowan are the only players who have deals beyond this this summer - correct?