Spfl proposal

Started by shinglis, April 08, 2020, 21:17:53

Previous topic - Next topic

shinglis

Lachlan comments on the current league proposal

QuoteLachlan has posted on Twitter, his thoughts on todays SPFL Statement.

My thoughts on the current situation in Scotland regarding the 2019-20 season are:

The only fair resolution for all the clubs involved is to declare the season null and void.

After reading the papers on it from the SPFL, I agree that it is not possible to do that.

The next best thing is to declare a winner/promotion and relegation from each league based on current standings. Not ideal, but given the reality of the potential consequences of declaring the season null and void, it is the fairest outcome.

It would be wrong in my view to enlarge the Premiership by two clubs (no relegation) without hosting a playoff. Top team can justifiably be declared a winner based on position, but 2-4 are in a playoff spot regardless of wether  2,3 or 4. A playoff spot is a playoff spot.

For this reason I don't think 14 team league is fair without a playoff, and I certainly doubt they will do 16 as Premiership won't get their precious 4 games against the Old Firm.

All of this assumes you believe what the SPFL are saying in this paper is true of course.

At this point extending the season and allowing us to complete would basically be impossible with player contracts expiring etc.

At the AUFC board meeting tomorrow I will be proposing that we back the SPFL proposal.

Try6Place

Can anyone fill us in on the gist of what Lachlan said on his podcast on Friday, apparently included something on Somerset redevelopment, amongst other things. Being techno challenged couldn't access it. Had hoped some fans would spill.  :o

Jeff Vader

Quote from: Try6Place on April 14, 2020, 10:33:44 Can anyone fill us in on the gist of what Lachlan said on his podcast on Friday, apparently included something on Somerset redevelopment, amongst other things. Being techno challenged couldn't access it. Had hoped some fans would spill.  :o

From memory he talked about redeveloping Somerset as more likely than a new ground. He said if they could somehow gain the land north of the north terrace they could do what they want with regards a new main stand on that side. But didn't sound like it was anything imminent.

If you can somehow get a listen of the podcast it's really good. I like Lachlan's refreshing honesty

The real jolly

Who actually owns the ground at heathfield where we proposed to locate ? Bit galling when the council turned down barr for the outlets he wanted to build to help fund the club and nowadays you can hardly move for shoppers out there !Just think a new stadium is a better way to go albeit we love somerset its becoming gridlocked and theres proposals for hundreds of more houses there.As for premier league potential and big crowds we cant even handle small crowds with away buses parking on the wee triangle outside the home turnstiles,imagine the chaos if we play killie or the old firm ?

John G

One of the more interesting things he eluded to was that if Ayr ever made the Premier League he may come back to run the club on a day to day bases.
Hope over despair

shinglis

Quote from: Try6Place on April 14, 2020, 10:33:44 Can anyone fill us in on the gist of what Lachlan said on his podcast on Friday, apparently included something on Somerset redevelopment, amongst other things. Being techno challenged couldn't access it. Had hoped some fans would spill.  :o

Link to Interview on Spotify

shuggie sproat

I think Dundee are looking for an enlarged top division as part of their negotiating strategy.If that is the case it could be a sixteen team league.That would mean Ayr being up there.Would our board take a fit if that came to pass?.

Try6Place

shinglis

Quote from: shuggie sproat on April 14, 2020, 20:30:59 .Would our board take a fit if that came to pass?.

Never mind the board the majority of fans would be over the moon at the prospect of finally reaching the top flight by whatever means. 

titus

It is refreshing to hear the club talking about doing up the old place.at the end of the day if we have any ambition we must have a stadium to match it.

Try6Place

Better facilities for all supporters, better fare too. It should be a law to provide healthy grub for all dietary requirements. ??? Would be great to see the place busy again, our younger fans haven't seen that.

shuggie sproat

Somerset at least has the feel of a football ground unlike the soulless Lego build stadia other clubs have built.

We could redevelop what we have a bit at a time.I have always thought that the north terracing would be ideal for a new main stand,incorporating hospitality, club offices,supporters lounge etc.Hope springs eternal,being an Ayr supporter breeds resilience and character!!.

Try6Place

That's a fair point, our supporters/most supporters indeed, prefer to stand. Maybe could get new stand with standing areas. Would be ideal scenario if we could purchase the land north of the north terracing, could make decent car parking/ business facilities. Sadly probably identified for more housing. Remember my old dad used to say in the seventies the club tried to buy the land from Walker's yard (don't know who owns it these days). Seems always no one wants to help the local senior club. If someone up there likes us, this euromillions 58m winner would be a supporter of the super Ayr. (Not them up the road or the union jack wavers). Fingers crossed...

ghostofjimmysmith

Somerset actually provides us with an opportunity to play to bigger crowds than would be possible in an all seated stadium post lockdown - quite easy to keep 2 metres apart although it will be a sh*t atmosphere.

I expect that when the penny drops that there will be no big crowds at football for quite some time Rangers and Hearts will just roll over. ICT sitting second has been a god send as it has stopped any Tayside stitch up.

I would take LC's comments about development as stopping any we are going into administration p*sh talk  - LC puts us into administration as he only wants 5p back for every pound we owe him - bonkers.

Try6Place

Interesting reading on p&b fans' views on best and worst stadiums, hopefully someone in club taking note.

real deal

As expected reconstruction is off not enough support from top league

TonyH

Quote from: real deal on May 08, 2020, 20:23:20 As expected reconstruction is off not enough support from top league

Good. I'd rather leave it the way it is than change the whole system just to save Hearts.

real deal

Quote from: TonyH on May 09, 2020, 18:37:33
Quote from: real deal on May 08, 2020, 20:23:20 As expected reconstruction is off not enough support from top league

Good. I'd rather leave it the way it is than change the whole system just to save Hearts.

That was my stand on it too ,the whole thing seems very toxic now down to certain clubs

Try6Place

Wonder what Lachlan's take is. Bit of a shambles, calling a "reconstruction" group when the 11:1 was never going to vote it in no matter what.

ghostofjimmysmith

Rangers are putting clubs at risk by trying to get revenge against the football authorities for their demise in 2012 - the other SPFL clubs should tell them they are free to go wherever they want - honestly I support Ayr United and we haven't been in the top flight for more than 40 years so really makes no difference to me if they just f*ck off and take all their baggage away from Scottish football. The whole thing starting to make Talbot being awarded the junior title look fair and well thought out.

I see ICT now implying "bullying" as part of their faux outrage now they realise they aren't getting up and Hearts are coming down.