More Talk of McCall going to Partick Thistle

Started by weejoe, September 19, 2019, 12:59:56

Previous topic - Next topic

real deal

Quote from: mark me3 on September 23, 2019, 17:25:09 Lets forget about Tucker , we require someone to keep us in this league, he would have no pulling power when it comes to signing players.

Why not push the boat out and go for mccoist and durrant? or chris Aitken and Durrant?
Steven Presley?

You're having a laugh with those suggestions total clowns and where did I say I wanted Sloan

rritayr

Can we please not waste space on these pages even talking about these Old Firm guys with zero credentials.
McCall and his pal Shankland can enjoy looking at their bank balance in May while we celebrate winning the Championship. Judas McCall might have gone but we still have the best players in the league

Merseysuperayr

Greatly disappointed at the departure of Ian McCall to Thistle. He was/is a highly talented and effective Manager who has succeeded in giving our Club back some pride , respect and standing within the game. The quality of football the Team has delivered over the last couple of seasons has been outstanding. The 5.0 win at Tannadice was one of the finest performances I have seen in over 48 years, supporting Ayr ,made all the richer because I was there with my mates, all lifetime supporters. The quality of player we have had / have in the Team is testament to how the club is regarded with Clubs trusting us to look after and develop their young players. I don't recall a time when we have had so many players being called up for International duties ; the balance with the kids playing alongside some exceptional seasoned professionals like Moffat and Kerr has produced a team to be proud of. McCall supported by a quality coaching staff, Lachlan and many other people including supporters with a love of the Team, has been absolutely pivotal in transforming our Club.I appreciate there have been some challenging periods within McCalls time with us, some poor results and cup exits, however he has delivered a great attacking style of play and real successes in winning League 1 and establishing us in the Championship. We should be acknowledging and thanking him for what he has delivered for our Club.(I thought the formal Club statement was curt and should have been said more). Going forward now the next Managerial appointment is crucial, Sandy Stewart on an interim basis is a good call ; I am less convinced in having Kerr in support, but only because he has been in outstanding form lately and wouldn't like to see him distracted. We have a great foundation now , we need to build on it!

Maybole Mauler

I would like to thank Ian McCall for his service to the Club over the last five years or so, but I cannot get my head round why he has left a team who are joint top of the Championship to go to a basket-case club embroiled in financial uncertainty and sitting isolated at the bottom. I really don't see why he 'adores' Thistle more than Ayr, who gave him a chance to get back into football when his life, by his own admission, was in freefall.

As to the future, I see the Directors are going to take their time to appoint Ian's permanent successor. As long as they get the right man, I don't mind that it will take them another 3-4 weeks. However, but they must get it right or the progress made in the last three seasons could be lost very quickly.

It is also important that the new manager immediately tries to get our young players signed up on longer term deals, so the Club gets some benefit when they move on to further their careers to bigger clubs in the future.

I'm already looking forward to Partick's next game at Somerset, it will be interesting to hear what reaction Ian McCall gets from the fans, whom he frequently criticised for their lack of support at home games.

TonyH

September 24, 2019, 16:51:21 #24 Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 17:21:35 by TonyH
If he had left at the end of last season I would have grudgingly wished him well, but walking out after six games is a kick in the teeth to everyone at the club.
And just wait until he tries to sign our best players or ends up getting Doohan and Kelly.

When he said after our last game against them that Ayr shouldn't be beating a club like Partick four times I thought it was very strange, maybe makes a bit more sense now in that he knew what was coming.

mark me3

Quote from: real deal on September 23, 2019, 18:08:09
Quote from: mark me3 on September 23, 2019, 17:25:09 Lets forget about Tucker , we require someone to keep us in this league, he would have no pulling power when it comes to signing players.

Why not push the boat out and go for mccoist and durrant? or chris Aitken and Durrant?
Steven Presley?

You're having a laugh with those suggestions total clowns and where did I say I wanted Sloan

sorry real deal I was not replying to your mail my fault , still think these guys are worth a shot if we  have any ambitions

mark me3

If we have any ambition we need guys who can attract players, or get good loan signings, if we go down the road like we did with Mark Robertson then we are ''''' so lets not kid the ourselves if we want to establish ourselves in this league we need experienced people on board, not would be managers , they can try themselves with other clubs lower than us , we are now a club on the up and up appointing non experienced will send us down the divisions, ( a lot quicker than you think) '
RANT OVER .........................................................................................

real deal

Quote from: mark me3 on September 24, 2019, 19:08:29 If we have any ambition we need guys who can attract players, or get good loan signings, if we go down the road like we did with Mark Robertson then we are ''''' so lets not kid the ourselves if we want to establish ourselves in this league we need experienced people on board, not would be managers , they can try themselves with other clubs lower than us , we are now a club on the up and up appointing non experienced will send us down the divisions, ( a lot quicker than you think) '
RANT OVER .........................................................................................

I agree we do need someone who can attract players and also experience you can and tumble down quick Raith and Falkirk for example,I was reading Strains name mentioned hope that's a wind up

Jeff Vader

I wonder if Lachlan and McCall may have made some sort of gentlemen's agreement that our players are off limits to McCall for the foreseeable, as part of the deal to allow McCall to join Partick. Would be nice if that's the case.

ghostofjimmysmith

The time for a junior manager like Sloan or Strain is long since past - if we wouldn't even consider them when we were part time and rock bottom of league 1 why on earth would we consider them when we are full time and joint top of the championship.

At the very least we need someone who at worst can "build a team to finish eight in the championship" but is also capable of keeping the upward momentum.

Maybe I am getting confused but did our/McCalls upturn in fortunes and playing attacking football not coincide with Sandy Stewart arriving in 2017-2018 - I vote for trying some continuity and given Stewart the chance to stake a claim for the job - not least as it is a no to everyone else quoted other than Billy Davies.

kb

Agree with you Ghost

Let Stewart run the show and see how things go, there are many pluses with him, knowing the set up, players..

We shouldn't rush in to signing a new manager, and maybe our answer is already at the club
Mon Ayr, Mon Super Ayr !!!!!!!

weejoe

Guys I have to agree.  I think Sandy Stewart is a safe pair of hands who has managerial experience.  And yes the attacking entertaining football did arrive shortly after him and who is say that it wasn't Sandy who got the best out of Lawrence Shankland, with McCall taking the plaudits for it.

I am sure the board will take their time to get the right manager, as we are improving and getting closer to the top flight.

Wouldn't it be great if we got Partick relegated near the end of the season.

TonyH

Wouldn't it be great if we got Partick relegated near the end of the season.
[/quote]

Aye !

ghostofjimmysmith

So can we assume Forrest definitely isn't joining McCall at Partick in January.

weejoe

I think at Christmas time we can start another thread which can be called 'what players will McCall steal in January'.

Got to admit Alan Forrest is in the form of his life, just like the Moff, who has jumped into his DMC deLorean car and shot back to the future.

ghostofjimmysmith

Sorry I wasn't at the game but I'm led to believe he had a t-shirt on that said "gtf Mccall"

real deal

Other news Moore played and scored 2 for reserves tonight