AYR V STRANRAER

Started by dickmalone, July 27, 2019, 17:33:04

Previous topic - Next topic

dickmalone

Well that was inspiring. Never fancied the league cup anyway. Who needs the income.

TonyH

When you've spent the last ten days laughing at Kilmarnock getting knocked out of Europe only to get knocked out of the Betfred Cup by Stranraer !

Ian Boswell

On play Stranraer could not be grudged their draw. As for the shootout, Harvie looked as if he didn't want to take a penalty kick and the end result was no surprise. That said, I'm not blaming him for the fact we failed to win. The team as a whole have to share that. I'll be interested to see our starting eleven against Morton next Saturday.

Sludden29

Agree that Stranraer deserved their point. Great opportunity for us to progress in the cup wasted. Too many below par performances. Harvies penalty summed up his day. Pass marks for our keeper and Forrest who made a difference when he came on. Need a huge improvement for Morton next week.

TonyH

Everyone knew how important it was for us to win today but we were out- fought by a part time team from the division below who had nothing to play for.
That's whats so disappointing, especially when their two goals were identical.

The real jolly

We look good when playing short passes on the deck but whenever the opposition get a chance to fire a cross into our box we are shitting ourselves.After getting an early lead we relaxed thinking we were too good and in the second our failure to get a killer 3rd goal came back to bite us.Worrying the time and space we gave them yesterday,the same against Falkirk,I realise we are a team of midgets but surely being full time we can still press the likes of Stranraer when we don't have the ball!Would have liked to see the boy McKenzie getting a run up front late on but instead Mcguffie gets another chance and failed to push himself,the time he could have been in the clear only to let hammil ! outpace him showed a real lack of attitude,disappointing as he's got the skill.

The real jolly

Ach well I suppose it's typical of being an ayr fan but makes you angry when we miss out on a potential money spinner which would amount to about 2 seasons worth of 500club donations never mind the humiliation bit

ghostofjimmysmith

Irrespective of who we would have drawn that is £35k prize money dropped, so in principle that is the wages of another player gone.

Subs didn't help - did Forrest even touch the ball, McGuffie was poor and I don't like the 5 in the middle we went to when Doolan went off.

All that said we lost the same goal twice - a free header from a corner and that is why we didn't go through. Under Hopkin, Morton playing long ball/big men at set pieces so going to be interesting next week as we still look as vulnerable to high balls in the box as we did last season.

Maybe Adams/Geggan would have made a difference

Jeff Vader

Surely any corner or crosses floated into the 6 yard box have to be the goalkeepers domain. Both goals we lost the keeper was rooted to spot. Something for them to work on.

The real jolly

What's our other keeper like with crosses ?

dickmalone

Probably akin to dracula and doohan

Ian Boswell

In response to the question above - yes, Forrest did touch the ball. At one stage he broke through, beating several Stranraer players. It kind of fizzled out after that, if I remember correctly. I agree McGuffie was mince. Certainly we need a big improvement overall for the Morton game.

ghostofjimmysmith

Thought about this further and looking at last year we came out the group having scored 12 goals (same as this time) but losing only 1. Looks like we are missing Michael Rose more than Lawrence Shankland - park the Falkirk goal which was a wonder strike/flukey deflection depending on your take - all the other goals we lost were bad defending/goal keeping and avoidable.