Glorious failures

Started by ghostofjimmysmith, June 20, 2019, 08:53:52

Previous topic - Next topic

ghostofjimmysmith

Given the womens team have finally achieved equality with the mens national side in snatching despair from the jaws of victory - may even have surpassed them tbh, it had me thinking about Ayr United.

We are used to being disappointed and frequently being let down and things going wrong and also occasionally being surprised but I can't think of a situation involving Ayr where there has been as spectacular a 3 goal turnaround in the last 16 minutes, either in our favour or against us. Yes ICT did it but they had an entire half to do so, and plenty of 2 goal swings but can't remember a three goal swing so late in a game.

Anyone remember anything like last night involving Ayr United - such a big late swing in the game.

titus

Been our moto since 1910

Halfwayline

Not quite the same but I remember being 4-0 down at halftime at home to Clydebank (I think) and coming back to draw 4-4 with Jimmy Murphy missing a chance to win it 5-4.

jm86

Remember being 4-1 down with about 20 minutes to go at Hamilton and winning 5-4. Think Peter Price got all 4 goals in that fight back. So we're talking about late fifties, early sixties.  Long time ago so a bit hazy about the details.

More recently there was the game at Cappielow in the nineties where we were 3-1 down with aboujt 12 minutes to go and won 4-3.

Jeff Vader

Quote from: jm86 on June 22, 2019, 03:18:25

More recently there was the game at Cappielow in the nineties where we were 3-1 down with aboujt 12 minutes to go and won 4-3.

I remember that finale well, Greg Shaw and a midfielder whose name escapes me got the goals before McAllister hit a nice winner from outside of the box. I'm quite sure a few fans would've missed it all by leaving the ground early when we were 3-1 down.

On the flipside, can't really remember it happening to us - unless selective memory has blocked it out! Hibs scoring twice late on to get a 3-3 draw at Somerset was gutting though.

Ian Boswell

Saturday 9th October 1971 - with about 20 minutes to go Ayr were 3 - 1 down away to Airdrie. Final result was a 4 - 3 win for Ayr with all four goals scored by Johnny Graham.