[May 16, 2019, 12:59:49 ]

Playoff -Inverness by titus
[May 16, 2019, 12:24:35 ]

Ross Doohan.. Potential Record. by ghostofjimmysmith
[May 13, 2019, 09:55:57 ]

* League Table

* Next Match

* Last Result

Author Topic: Mccall interview AP  (Read 564 times)

Offline ghostofjimmysmith

• Testimonial Player
Mccall interview AP
« on: May 15, 2019, 09:21:19 »
Maybe reading too much into it but anyone else think McCall's comments in the AP about not wanting to build a team to finish eighth and looking for better communication from the board and more investment could be taken as "I have taken them as far a I can"/"board not matching my ambition"

Also in a rare moment of incite from Bob Shields, he correctly surmises that we never seemed to recover from the Talbot result.

Offline rritayr

• U19s Player
Re: Mccall interview AP
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 12:14:38 »
I think it was definitely McCall saying Ď I have done a good job here and I am open to offers elsewhere Ď

Offline kb

• 1st Team Sub
  • Auld Yins Rule
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 15:32:50 »
Could be taken that way...

I took it at face value. McCall is saying that he doesn't want to finish 8th and just stay up. He wants us to challenge again next year. Great to hear that and i think everyone will agree with his comments
A manager saying that he wants further investment is not an automatic 'I am open to offers'

He has established us in the league in one season, which is a major accomplishment and one which i did not expect. I only dared hope for a mid-table finish to our season after our promotion from Division 1

We want to be looking at players who will challenge again, for the title !
We need financing to bring in the right calibre of player and this is good to hear. I think Mr McCall wants us to know his thought on this, and if it gives extra leverage to get the purse strings opened a wee bit then good and well

Mon Ayr, Mon Super Ayr !!!!!!!

Offline rritayr

• U19s Player
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 17:14:25 »
Every Ayr fan wants a team to challenge but where is this budget going to come from?
The Directors canít keep funding the playing budget forever.
We got bigger crowds for a while last season then they drifted away again.
The AU500 fund has about 140 active paying members of which at most 100 attend matches regularly; that means over 90% of those who go to games are not members.

Offline Jeff Vader

• 1st Team Sub
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 00:10:31 »
Could be taken that way...

I took it at face value. McCall is saying that he doesn't want to finish 8th and just stay up. He wants us to challenge again next year. Great to hear that and i think everyone will agree with his comments
A manager saying that he wants further investment is not an automatic 'I am open to offers'

I agree with this, I haven't seen the AP but McCall's AUmedia interview after the Inverness game seems to have said the same thing. It sounded to me like a man who wants to have Ayr challenging for the title next season and wants the support of the board in this quest. I've been quite encouraged by his comments. I guess you could look at as a 'come and get me, i'm ambitious' advert to other clubs but i didn't take that from it at all.

Offline JohnnyDoyle7

• Youth Academy
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 10:21:00 »
I think he's asking do we just want to be "wee plucky Ayr" who never quite achieve anything and yo-yo between the Championship and Div 1 or do we want to push on and be something in the top league.

We've probably got as good a manager as we have had for as long as I can remember, Ally aside, and it's up to the board to decide if they also feel that way and find the finances to back him. How they do that is up to them, they are all intelligent, successful people in their own lives.

Offline Balloon Boy

• Testimonial Player
  • 'ave it............
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 12:36:11 »
i wonder if Calvin Ayre could be persuaded to take a more active part or some wealthy exiled Ayr fan, we must jhhave at least one surely......

Offline ghostofjimmysmith

• Testimonial Player
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 12:59:49 »
I think the comment about the attendances was what made me think this - essentially they are up but specifically pointed out that we got just over 2000 fans for a play off game at home - in the same statement asking for more investment - seems contradictory to me and I sense a "I've taken you as far as I can " coming.