[January 22, 2019, 18:21:57 ]

Ayr U V Dundee U by MonkeyHeid
[January 22, 2019, 16:48:01 ]

Finn Ecrepont - Scotland Call up by AyrUtdAcademy
[January 22, 2019, 14:30:51 ]

* League Table

* Next Match

* Last Result

Author Topic: January Window...  (Read 2579 times)

Offline shinglis

• Global Moderator
  • Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
January Window...
« on: December 20, 2018, 08:17:25 »
As always, can't really focus on other teams but the January transfer window is going to be interesting to see how the teams add / amend the squads in attempts to improve. 

The biggest potential change will of course be will Dundee Utd under "new ownership: Dundee Utd - New Owner - Spending in Jan

As for Super Ayr. Time will tell if money talks and Shankland departs but to be honest, not sure where additional players required. Obviously if any players depart then replacements would be required, but given his current track record I actually have some faith in McCall to manage the squad during this up coming transfer window. 

The 2nd half of the season may be more challenging but I see no reason of not finishing in the top 4 and take our chances in the play offs. 

Offline Ian Boswell

• 1st Team Regular
    • View Profile
Re: January Window...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 09:01:29 »
How about reckoning we'll hold on to our best players and aim to finish top? If we don't manage that it won't be a disaster but it surely should be our aim. Actually, it's every club's aim in a sense, in that you always want to win your next game. 

Offline MonkeyHeid

• General User
  • U19s Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 09:25:56 »
How about reckoning we'll hold on to our best players and aim to finish top? If we don't manage that it won't be a disaster but it surely should be our aim. Actually, it's every club's aim in a sense, in that you always want to win your next game.
Totally agree Ian.. no matter what happens teams will still take points of other teams and we can remain confident to continue our presence at the top of the table.  I guess given Ayr's history we are all waiting for the enviable collapse and dropping points. 

Offline AYRSHIRE_ANGUS

• 1st Team Sub
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 10:08:42 »
I'm not sure theres a conveyor belt of game changing players waiting to sign up for other clubs but we'll see soon enough.

Offline Balloon Boy

• Testimonial Player
  • 'ave it............
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 12:14:33 »
posted this elsewhere but its more relevant here:

I'd aslo expect Partick, Morton , Falkirk etc all to strengthen in the transfer window so it mayy be a whole lot tougher after Christmas........unless we strengthen ourseves, but i dont think we are weak in any positions really

Offline TonyH

• Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 12:58:34 »
In this week's AP McCall says Doherty and Ferguson's contracts are up in January but he wants to keep them both and keep the squad intact.

Offline Balloon Boy

• Testimonial Player
  • 'ave it............
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 14:59:42 »
oh thats good to hear, i heard feguson was outstanding for the reserves the other week, we've been lucky with injuries so far this season, long may it continue..

Offline The real jolly

• Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 09:52:40 »
Time some of the academy players came to the fore to help the cause.Players who have came through the system will surely go that extra bit for you whilst saving us money,surely that must be our short and long term plan

Offline Troon

• Youth Academy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 11:52:11 »
Troll off jolly

Offline The real jolly

• Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 16:18:57 »
Yawn

Offline ghostofjimmysmith

• Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 20:46:43 »
In principle I agree with you Jolly but I think that circumstances, as they have done pretty much in all of Iain McCall's time at the club, preclude us using youngsters - this season we have potentially have our best shot at promotion to the top flight in 20 years - I would not want to risk that by giving the academy boys a game unless they are going to make a genuine difference. Who would you drop to give an academy player a game?

Last season we were in a promotion battle to the last day, season before relegation battle to the last day, before that promotion battle, before that relegation battle to avoid going down to League 2, season before that under Roberts we scraped into the play offs.

The one time we were never in the running for promotion/relegation in Roberts first season he gave lots of the youngsters a game - Crawford still playing for us and Forrest took his chance the following year.

Offline The real jolly

• Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 22:26:54 »
Not saying it's time to throw in youngsters but would it not be great if when we hit suspensions and injuries or players go off form if the fringe players who are there each day could step up to the plate instead of looking around for loans or rejects

Offline MarkG2018

• 1st Team Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 00:06:13 »
January signings tend to be about responding to opportunities rather than having specific strategies or named targets. Guys like Mark Kerr not getting a game at Falkirk or Stranraer struggling to pay Bell's wages. The other fertile area is bigger clubs looking to put youngsters out on loan....I'm sure McKenna and MacRorie both came in in January. The difference this season is where we are in the league. Premiership managers may want to give fringe players a taste of it. But our gaffer may be less keen to take a punt with so much at stake. I suppose the point I'm making is that it's about responding to opportunities that arise. Hopefully we'll get lucky.

Offline ghostofjimmysmith

• Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 11:06:32 »
Reading the match reports this weekend that is Falkirk, Partick, Dundee United, Dundee and St Mirren all going to have a clear out and bring players in - can't help thinking that they might find it easier to say than do as they will all probably be chasing the same players.

For us all about keeping what we have - I think the spark/composure that might have turned the last three draws into wins is in the squad just out injured (Adams, Geggan, Forrest, Kerr). We have the "experienced" cente half already sitting on the bench so I'm hoping for a non-eventful window.

Offline TonyH

• Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2018, 19:27:28 »
I'll be happy if the squad stays exactly the same.

Offline kb

• 1st Team Sub
  • Auld Yins Rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 16:47:14 »
Spot on TonyH  we don't really need to go out in to the market
We have never been in this position that I can remember and says a lot about our squad
Mon Ayr !!!
All the best in 2019 to all our team, yes all you guys 😀😀 !!!!
Mon Ayr, Mon Super Ayr !!!!!!!

Offline weejoe

• Youth Academy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 10:07:45 »
Happy New Year guys. I donít see there being any changes in our squad in January. Maybe Ferguson going as he has not really featured this season. I believe Shankland will be here until the end of the season, but I hope McCall has a plan for a Shankland replacement for next season. Moff and Moore donít have the same understanding as Moff and Shankland.

Offline shinglis

• Global Moderator
  • Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2019, 13:29:17 »
Don't forget if not already you can buy the Seaside Sons Ayr United tune to help support the player budget.

Ayr united Song - Seaside Sons

Offline titus

• Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 01:48:40 »
Chris erskine,any truth in this rumour.

Offline Balloon Boy

• Testimonial Player
  • 'ave it............
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 07:54:44 »
who's this armstrong we're also supposed to be intersted in?