[November 20, 2018, 21:33:27 ]

Ayr v Morton Game by ghostofjimmysmith
[November 19, 2018, 12:59:55 ]

Super Ayr on Tv.. by shinglis
[November 14, 2018, 21:48:03 ]

* League Table

* Next Match

* Last Result

Author Topic: Favourite Ayr Game.  (Read 768 times)

Offline shinglis

• Global Moderator
  • Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
Favourite Ayr Game.
« on: November 05, 2018, 13:44:04 »
Ok going to steal an idea from the SRE Facebook group, regards the question, what is your favourite Ayr game.

So many to choose from, Hibs Semi final, any win against Killie, play off or cup games.

For me the first one that jumps out is the 2-0 v Killie - 14th Feb 98.
My memories are more than just the game, the match build up, the weather, the state of pitch, oh that header. Bobby off to lochgilphead  ::) and finally taking my now wife out for valentine dinner and the waiter being a killie and suddenly stopped serving us.  ;D

So what's your favourite game so far and any reasons why.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 13:55:53 by shinglis »

Offline ghostofjimmysmith

• Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite Ayr Game.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 16:58:29 »
4th May 2019 when we horse Alloa 5-0 at Somerset, sealing our return to the top flight of Scottish football after a 40 year absence in front of 8000 fans.......

Being serious, too young to remember the 70's so I would go with the 3-1 win on the last day of the 97-98 season at Firhill - very much against the odds, upset the media and much of what followed cup semis/one and only final wouldn't have been possible if we had gone down - yes I know we could have done better in the league. Also I remember that Celtic won the league that day kiboshing Rangers 10 in a row and there was just a joyous party vibe in Glasgow Central/ the train back to Ayr- the best analogy I can give is the end of Return of the Jedi where the evil empire has been defeated.

Offline TonyH

• Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 18:51:06 »
The night we beat Motherwell to keep our place in the new Premier League.
Down 1-0 shooting towards a packed  Railway End ( in the days you could change ends at half time ), we equalise then get a second but the ref seems to take ages consulting the linesman but eventually gives the goal and the place goes wild !
Full time 2-1, whole place erupts, pitch invasion and the team appear in the stand as if we've won  a cup final .
A fantastic night for me and my teacher at Symington primary school, our manager Alex Stuart..

Offline Jeff Vader

• 1st Team Sub
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 18:54:49 »
Hard to pick but maybe my fave was the 4-1 new year victory v Killie. Can't remember the year but it was one of my first seasons supporting the club. Templeton and Sludden tore them apart that day. Glorious!

Offline dickmalone

• Youth Academy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 22:29:44 »
One of our last games in the premier league in 1978. We beat Clydebank 2-0 at kilbowie stadium in front of a an 8000 crowd...oops i meant 800. Still at least 300 were Ayr fans.

Offline Ian Boswell

• 1st Team Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 23:00:34 »
11/10/75 - Ayr United 3 - Rangers 0. We could see a huge crowd of the boys in blue supporters disappearing up the road well before the end. Ah, bless them! No, hang on, that's not quite what I said.

Offline MonkeyHeid

• General User
  • U19s Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 15:02:24 »
Oh.. so many to choose from. All the victories over Kilmarnock are good and live long in the memory banks but going to go for the league winning game at Berwick Rangers for the 1996 / 96 second division title.

Winning the title, weekend stay in Newcastle and with Newcastle coming 2nd in the league it was one mega party.

In reflection maybe it's not the game I remember but the mega party weekend ;D

Offline AGC

• Youth Academy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 08:08:33 »
A particular favourite of mine has to be a game at Cappielow, late 80ís early 90ís. We were 3-1 down with 12 minutes to go and turned it around to win 4-3. All the Ayr goals were excellent, but Iain McAllisterís last minute winner from 25 yards was the pick.

Offline weejoe

• Youth Academy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 15:08:00 »
So many great memories associated with following Ayr United.  First ever game when I got the bug, we got beat 1 - 0 by Clyde on a cold Sept night in 1968.  I was at the Ayr Utd v Rangers game a year later when we beat them 2 - 0.  This was Ayr biggest home crowd of over 25,000 +.  I was 10 years old and I was put track side with my pals in front of the enclosure.  We were that close to the players we could smell the liniment off their legs, brilliant.  I went to both semi-finals against Celtic that year at Hampden.  First game was 3 - 3 with the replay going their way with a 2 - 1 defeat.  Ayr were magnificent in both games.  It was a young Celtic player who got the winner, Kenny Dalgliesh. It was his 3rd first team game.  Wonder what ever happened to him.

But the best of all has to be the valentine day massacre of Kilmarnock in 1998 at Somerset.  I was in the police back then and I was held in the reserve detail, which was lined up along the side of the stand at the away end.  The 2nd supporter to come through the turnstile got the jail.  My neighbour and I had 8 arrested by half-time.  It was like they say "shooting fish in a barrel".  The weather was a great leveller as they were supposed to be the bigger club (my herse).  It was great to watch and one to saviour.

Offline ghostofjimmysmith

• Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 16:47:02 »
The nature of the 1998 game - they were cup holders, we were struggling - meant some one off songs got an airing in the pubs that night - "where's your Scottish Cup, wheres your Scottish cup, wheres your Scottish cup, where's your Scottish cup.... far far away " - "They'll be no more Johnny Walker in the cup" - unfortunately prescient of Ayrshire's continued industrial demise.

Bobby Williamson's post match interview is a classic as well.

Offline JohnnyDoyle7

• Youth Academy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 22:57:03 »
Some great games mentioned already. I'm going to go for one of my earliest memories when we beat Celtic 2-1. I can still remember the Celtic fans invading the pitch after we went 2-1 ahead and Jock Stein going over to calm them down and get them back on the terracing. He knew it was exactly what we needed as it gave us time to steady ourselves after going ahead and stop Celtic from hitting back straight away. I remember thinking 'are we really going to beat them?'
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 22:59:25 by JohnnyDoyle7 »

Offline Doyle

• 1st Team Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 16:57:57 »
The night we beat Motherwell to keep our place in the new Premier League.
Down 1-0 shooting towards a packed  Railway End ( in the days you could change ends at half time ), we equalise then get a second but the ref seems to take ages consulting the linesman but eventually gives the goal and the place goes wild !
Full time 2-1, whole place erupts, pitch invasion and the team appear in the stand as if we've won  a cup final .
A fantastic night for me and my teacher at Symington primary school, our manager Alex Stuart..
Remember this game very well terrific match.........

Offline SomersetPablo

• Youth Academy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2018, 18:37:47 »
Agree that the 2-0 win over Killie in '98 was one of the best--have replayed that video countless times.  The semi-final win over Hibs is another obvious highlight--being there to witness us getting to our first major final was something I will never forget! 

Seeing Ayr beat Celtic 3-2 in the League Cup ('74) in was a special night for a wee laddie in only his second-ever visit to Somerset Park. Somner, Mitchell (penalty) and Ingram got the goals against a team which had McNeill, Johnstone, Hood, Lennox and Dalglish.

Another favourite was a 3-2 win over Motherwell in April 78 when Willie Pettigrew's two goals were cancelled out by a wonderful hat-trick from wee Gordon Cramond RIP.