[December 12, 2018, 15:28:17 ]

Ayr Utd v Inverness Caley by shinglis
[December 11, 2018, 14:58:07 ]

Auchinleck Talbot V Ayr U by shinglis
[December 11, 2018, 10:36:43 ]

* League Table

* Next Match

* Last Result

Author Topic: Shankland - Statement.  (Read 4535 times)

Offline shinglis

• Global Moderator
  • Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
Shankland - Statement.
« on: August 02, 2018, 14:29:24 »
Message from manager Ian McCall :” I wanted to respond to the media speculation over the last 24 hours surrounding Lawrence Shankland.

There have been enquiries, over the last few weeks, about a number of our players including Lawrence Shankland. All of these players are under contract to Ayr United Football Club.

It would be wrong of me to mention clubs names however we have had a number of enquiries about Lawrence from North and South of the border. All of these clubs have been informed that we would be extremely reluctant sellers and that it would take a significant transfer fee with a number of add ons for us even to consider it.

As everyone can see by his form Lawrence is fully committed to Ayr United and thoroughly enjoying his football. Personally I am sure that he will go on to play at the top level but at this minute he is very much an Ayr United player.”

Well that will be that then.  :-X

Offline titus

• Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
Re: Shankland - Statement.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 15:51:43 »
Craig moore,get yur bits oan.your stertin.

Offline titus

• Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 16:20:00 »
Just testing the water with this one.if shanklands does leave ayr,would we like the club to sound out david goodwille as a replacement.i know he has baggage.

Offline kb

• 1st Team Sub
  • Auld Yins Rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 16:57:59 »
I wouldn't bother answering that, cause of the statement made by McCall at the top of this page

There you go Ttus mate
Mon Ayr, Mon Super Ayr !!!!!!!

Offline shinglis

• Global Moderator
  • Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 15:52:39 »
Another statement :

o pre-empt any speculation in the media we can confirm that we have today received a bid of £150k from a club south of the border. Our board of directors rejected the bid.

Manager Ian McCall said :”Lawrence remains fully committed to this club as his performance on Saturday showed. He is contracted to Ayr United football club.”

What I don't understand where was all this "big interest before he signed with us for another year, must have been tempting to move on if the offers were available.

Guess now the fear is the offer is increased and to be honest it will get to a point would be difficult to reject.

Scottish transfer window shuts 31st August but the English transfer window closes Thursday 9th. If we can get passed Thursday hopefully it will be ok - till January.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 15:57:58 by shinglis »

Offline TSLS

• Youth Academy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 16:08:49 »
He'll be off - statement aimed at getting a bidding war IMO

Offline ayrmad

• 1st Team Sub
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 16:37:09 »
He'll be off - statement aimed at getting a bidding war IMO

Unless there are 2 or more English clubs in for him there won't be any bidding was, either in cash terms or stature of clubs.

Offline ghostofjimmysmith

• Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 16:43:23 »
I think the statement was more about making it clear he won't go on the cheap - Dundee offered £75k and were told no and that has probably eliminated pretty much every Scottish club. Maybe only 3 or 4 Scottish clubs who can afford to pay more than 75k -  I doubt Rangers/Celtic would be interested, Aberdeen won't admit they got it wrong releasing him, Shankland turned down Hearts to sign for us so that really only leaves Hibs - IMO.

If an English club comes in, they can probably offer life changing money and the player himself may force a move but I'll be honest there has been little sign of that from him.

Offline Ayr Apparent

• 1st Team Sub
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 18:15:53 »
Should an increased offer come in for Lawrence Shankland I couldn't blame the board for accepting as, for a club of our size, it would be too big a boost to club finances to turn down.

Having said that, the psychological impact on the team and fans would be catastrophic. I believe it would bring about a slump rivalled only by the slow but sure decline since the seventies. As for the effect on home attendances, a couple of losses and we would be back to square one.

This type of dilemma seldom occurs at Ayr United but even if an offer is eventually accepted during this window, Lawrence Shankland owes us nothing but friendship and he is entitled to do the right thing for himself. I get the feeling that, should he return to the club some day as an opponent, his name would be sung from the rafters...by Ayr fans.

Being an Ayr supporter can feel like every silver lining has a cloud. However, looking on the bright side, maybe the window will close and we'll all live happily ever after, skint, but with a few months of top class entertainment ahead of us.

Offline TonyH

• Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 20:10:37 »
How much it it worth to us to have a successful season ?
A lot more than £150,000.

Offline dickmalone

• Youth Academy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 20:35:05 »
If we have to sell him...and God knows it would be terrible...at least let us get full value. He didn't sign a 2 year contract to be punted for peanuts.

Offline Balloon Boy

• Testimonial Player
  • 'ave it............
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 09:11:26 »
he didnt sign a 2 year contract......

Offline ghostofjimmysmith

• Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 09:36:15 »
According to the media a £150k bid from unnamed English club has been turned down as not anywhere near enough and looking for a higher offer plus other incentives including a sell on percentage.

Offline MonkeyHeid

• General User
  • U19s Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 09:56:00 »
Love this quote from a Thistle fan :

Shankland has scored 2 tap ins both as a result of some of the worst defending you'll ever see, a penalty and a fluke long ranger

Good to see no mention of the 38 goals in 38 appearances for AUFC..

Offline Balloon Boy

• Testimonial Player
  • 'ave it............
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 10:55:32 »
apparently the club was FC Fylde who we pumped in the summer

Offline Kenny15

• Youth Academy
    • View Profile
  • Supports: Bristol rovers
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 11:59:34 »
Hi Ayr fan now living Bristol area lot of talk shankland to sign for Bristol Rovers in next couple of days according to their forum

Offline shinglis

• Global Moderator
  • Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 12:23:21 »
Hi Ayr fan now living Bristol area lot of talk shankland to sign for Bristol Rovers in next couple of days according to their forum

Welcome to SRE Kenny15. The English transfer window will slam shut soon and we can look forward to Shankland scoring for Ayr at least till January.

Offline TonyH

• Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 19:56:29 »
In the last few days I've seen him linked with Dundee,St Mirren, Kilmarnock, AFC Fylde, Bristol Rovers, Shrewsbury Town, Grimsby Town and Luton !
Just waiting to see him being linked with Melchester Rovers to replace Roy Race !

Offline Ayr Apparent

• 1st Team Sub
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2018, 20:38:30 »
In the last few days I've seen him linked with Dundee,St Mirren, Kilmarnock, AFC Fylde, Bristol Rovers, Shrewsbury Town, Grimsby Town and Luton !
Just waiting to see him being linked with Melchester Rovers to replace Roy Race !

Tony, you're being ridiculous now. Do you honestly think that after 64 years Melchester will suddenly drop Roy Race ? Lawrence Shankland has great potential to play at the very top but it is pushing it to think that he would be anything other than a bench warmer at Melchester. 

Offline shinglis

• Global Moderator
  • Testimonial Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2018, 13:53:39 »
Ayrshire post - Voice of Reason - on twitter saying all is quiet at Somerset Park. Let's hope so. Only a few more hours to go before English window shuts and I don't think anyone in the Scotland would spend the money wanted.